Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Benno von Archimboldi

Unless you have read Bolano's 2666, the name of the famous author Benno von Archimboldi is unfamiliar. If the curious were to go searching Amazon for Archimboldi's work, she would find nothing because this famous writer is famous only in Bolano's book. He does not exist and none of his books exist. When I discovered his nonexistence, I grew more interested in the types of books he would have written, had he existed. Would they have been short, like Camus' novellas? Or hefty tomes? What would the quality of the printing and binding be? Attracting me further is the business model for his publisher, Bubis. A publishing run of Archimboldi's books was about 300 copies distributed among booksellers Bubis had visited. This leads me to consider publishing today, or least the limited perspective I have. With CENTURY FARM finished, I've been marketing it through the regular route of agents with no success to date. The lack of success is expected, but troublesome. I could compound this with the massive shifts going on in publishing, not only ebooks (which is old news) but the rise of monopolies in publishing with recent mergers. I could run off in despair, but not yet.

1 comment: