Thursday, March 18, 2010

Wither the Words?

It began as a dot on my earlobe. I thought it was a drop of dried blood, or a black fleck of dust and didn’t think anything about it. The next time I looked in the mirror I saw more flecks making a line out of the ear canal and down the lob, like ants following a line. The flecks were larger and more distinct. I wiped them off and looked closely and discovered the flecks were tiny letters, serif letters, smaller than agate print, but still letters, independent of page or print, and very real. I swabbed out the ear canal and tried not to think anymore about it.
As I ate breakfast I could feel them. My wife asked, “What’s that coming out of your ear?”
“Nothing,” I said, wiping the ear with my napkin. I glanced at the napkin and realized the letters had grown larger, with sans serif mixed with the serif.
Since I couldn’t go to work with letters coming out of my ear, I stuffed cotton in my ear, hoping that would soak them up.
That only worked for an hour. The tickling inside the ear drove me to distraction. I wanted to (to be continued).

1 comment: