Sunday, July 11, 2010

writing machine

Yesterday I found another writing machine. This is a portable, pre-internet, nearly laptop that only runs out of energy when I do which writes in italics and the cost was less than a pack of cigarettes. Made in West Germany, the Olympic de Lux italic typerwriter has fired new sparks of creativity. Writing on it is a different experiences with a different dynamic. For example, when I write on the computer, as I am now doing, I stare at the screen and watch the letters form on the screen. These letters, however, have no tangible aspect to them. They are the result of electric sparks of some sort energizing tiny, nearly microscopic squares. As letters they do not fundamentally exist. When I type (or write with pen on paper) the letters exist in both form and physical reality. I could take the paper and cut out the individual letters with an exacto knife. Not so with the computer. As I write on the computer, as I said, I watch the letters form into words. On the typewriter I hunch over and stare at the center of the keyboard with the letters T, G, H, Y within direct view, but out of focus. By not looking at the paper I am not concerned about revisions. The errors are legion but I don't pay attention. Contrast this to the screen, where I am constantly aware of the errors, frequently backspacing to cure the problem, all of which interrupts the flow. Also on the typewrite is the click-clack of the keys, a far different sort of noise than the muted tick, tick of the keyboard. Add the ding of the bell and the call slide the carriage with the return arm and I've found a more satisfying way of writing. The only problem I have is that of transcribing from the typed page to the computer. I may try scanning the typed page into a computer file. Of course, this all may have to do with the novelty of having an italic typewriter.

1 comment:

  1. I saw on old typewriter by the curb the other day. Of course, it was not one of your curious writing machines, but I still thought of you.

    ReplyDelete