Monday, June 8, 2009

Writng certain scenes

Writing certain scenes can be very odd. A poor sentence to begin with. Not a decent lead for a news article, hopeless for a freshman comp essay: too much ambiguity, not enough concrete reality. What I'm trying to say is that writing sex scenes is ... what? I'm not sure of what word to use to describe it. I've spent the past several days writing up to, and into a scene in the novel that becomes explicit. And here's the odd part: while it may seem a bit voyeuristic, it isn't. I'm trying to be honest and true without being trite, hackneyed, or textbookish. (Textbook sex was well illustrated by Monte Python's Meaning of Life.) When we talked in class about breaking out first and second space, how about breaking out of moralistic space- which is one of those "supposed to be" places. And here's another question- why am I blogging this topic? I'm the lone male in the remnant since Troy has gone on to other ventures, and should I be raising the issue? Regardless of the answer, I need to be off to the next task, which is preparing for tomorrow's class in which I lecture on Anselm's Ontological Argument for the existence of God.

1 comment:

  1. Where are you teaching these interesting lectures?

    Sex scenes...I've never tried to write one. There are some things I am more that willing to leave off for the older, supposedly more mature day. Although in matters of sex, I think, we remains fumblings youths at heart. And that's all I have to say about the matter.

    ReplyDelete